Looking for a traditional Greek Tiropita recipe? This delicious Greek cheese pie filled with a rich feta filling, wrapped in golden-brown crispy phyllo will amaze you.
- 8–10 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled (7 ounces)
- 3/4 of a cup heavy cream
- 100g grated Parmesan or Regato or kefalograviera (3.5 ounces)
- 100g grated Gouda cheese or Emedal cheese (3.5 ounces)
- 100g ricotta cheese or anthotiro (3.5 ounces)
- 2 large organic eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsps fresh mint (optional)
- olive oil or melted butter
- sesame seeds (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- If you choose to prepare this Greek tiropita recipe with commercial phyllo dough, it is important to thaw completely the phyllo dough by putting it in the fridge from the previous day. For the beginners at working with phyllo, check the handling tips before starting.
- Prepare the filling for the tiropita. This traditional tiropita recipe, calls for three different kind of cheese for extra flavour! Use a fork to crumble the feta cheese into a large bowl and add the beaten eggs along with the rest of the grated cheese and heavy cream. Chop some fresh mint and add to the mixture. Season with freshly ground pepper and blend well with a spoon. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- For this tiropita recipe you will need a large baking tray, approx. 20*30 cm. Using a pastry brush, butter the bottom and sides of the tray. Place one sheet of phyllo at the bottom of the pan and with a cooking brush sprinkle some olive oil or melted butter. Repeat the procedure, adding 4-5 more sheets of phyllo dough. You will use 5-6 phyllo sheets for the bottom of the tiropita.
- Pour in the feta cheese mixture and smooth with a spatula. With a knife trim some of the excessive phyllo, and fold the excess phyllo sheets flaps over the mixture. Top the tiropita with 4-5 more phyllo sheets, making sure to oil or butter each one, before adding the other; roll in the edges. Brush the top with oil or butter, sprinkle with water and sesame seeds. If using commercial phyllo dough to make this tiropita recipe make sure to scar the top with a sharp knife, to help release the steam.
- Bake the tiropita in a preheated oven at 180C for 45-50 minutes, until the phyllo is crisp and golden. Let it cool down for a while before serving. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 297kcal
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Sodium: 559.6mg
- Fat: 21.2g
- Saturated Fat: 9.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 14.3g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Cholesterol: 84.6mg
Keywords: Tiropita, Greek Cheese pie recipe, Greek Feta pie