I can think of nothing better than freshly baked homemade traditional Greek orange cookies, accompanied with a hot cup of Greek coffee (ellinikos kafes) to start your lazy weekend morning.
Most traditional Greek biscuits recipes require a lot of time and skill to prepare. But no-one really likes to cook first thing on a Sunday morning. So I have distilled the cookie making process for you in two easy-to-follow steps using ingredients that you already have in your kitchen cupboard. And the best part? These traditional Greek coffee cookies take less than 10 minutes to prepare and are ready to eat in less than 30!
In this traditional Greek cookie recipe I am using orange zest and some orange juice to give these little cookies a distinct, light, fresh aroma which I find particularly delightful with a nice hot cup of filtered coffee. However feel free to experiment with your favorite flavors.
So if you are looking for a quick, easy traditional Greek cookie recipe to wake up the whole family with their amazing smell, this is the one for you!
Got any questions, comments of just want to say hi? Feel free to leave your comment in the section below! Don’t forget to share our recipe with your friends on your favorite social networks using the links above!Print
Delicious, traditional Greek orange cookies recipe infused with mastic and vanilla! The best part? Ready to bake in 10 minutes and ready to eat in less than 30!
- 250g butter (9 ounces)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tbsps mastic liqueur (optional)
- 650g soft flour, sifted (23 ounces)
- 3 tbps baking powder (flat, not heaped!) Alternatively use self raising flour and skip the baking powder.
- To prepare these orange flavored Greek cookies, all you have to do is to add all the ingredients together into a large bowl and blend with your hands, until combined.
- Shape the cookies with your hands, giving them any shape you like and bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes, until nicely colored. Remember to use some parchment paper layered on the baking tray so that they don’t stick and leave some distance between the cookies, as they will rise a bit when baked.
Keywords: mastic cookies, greek orange cookies