An absolutely delicious and super healthy Greek lentil salad recipe with feta cheese and fresh vegetables. Whether eaten as a snack, side or light vegetarian meal, this super easy feta lentil salad recipe never fails to impress!
- 400g brown lentils, picked and rinsed (14 oz.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2–3 peppers (red, orange, yellow), roasted and sliced
- 250g feta cheese, crumbled (9 oz.)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half or 1 juicy tomato, cut in cubes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- a handful fresh parsley (or dill), chopped
- a handful fresh mint, chopped
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the dressing
- 6 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- a pinch of sweet paprika
- To prepare this Greek style lentil salad recipe with feta cheese, start by cooking the lentils. Place the lentils in a colander and rinse them thoroughly under running water. Drain and place them in a large pot. Cover the lentils with a 5-6cm of cold water, season with salt, add the bay leaf and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 20-25 minutes. For this Greek lentil feta salad recipe the lentils should be cooked, but still retain a slight tooth. Keep in mind that different varieties of lentils cook at different times, so have a taste after 15 minutes and be careful not to overcook them!
- In the meantime prepare the vegetables. For this Greek feta lentil salad recipe, you could use the peppers raw, cut into little cubes or roasted. Roasting the peppers, until slightly soft, will give extra flavour. To roast the peppers, cut them in half crosswise and place on a baking tray, lined with parchment pepper. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt. Bake in preheated oven at 200-220C for about 20 minutes, or until softened.
- To prepare the dressing for this Greek lentil salad recipe, add all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- When the lentils are cooked, drain them in a colander and place under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled slightly place lentils in a large serving bowl and toss with dressing. Add the chopped onion, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, olives and roasted peppers (sliced) and blend. Wait to add the fresh herbs just before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: Greek lentil salad, fakes salata, lentil salad with feta