Take your taste buds to the refreshing flavors of the Mediterranean with every bite of this amazing Greek lentil salad recipe!
An absolutely delicious and super healthy Greek style lentil salad with feta cheese and fresh vegetables. Bursting with fresh and vibrant colors and flavours, whether eaten as a snack, side or light vegetarian meal, this super easy feta lentil salad recipe never fails to impress and is a firm favourite of mine together with my traditional Greek Salad!
Greek style lentil salad recipe with feta cheese – A delicious taste of Greece!
If you are looking for a twist to your usual lentil salad, go Greek with this sprightly Greek style lentil salad recipe and taste all the earthy flavours that characterise Greek cuisine in one dish!
To prepare this Greek style lentil salad recipe, the lentils are simmered until cooked, then coated with a homemade light olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing.
The secret behind this delicious dressing is to flavor it with garlic and sweet paprika and toss it together with sweet roasted peppers, black kalamata olives, onions and juicy tomatoes. Finish off with fresh herbs like mint, parsley or dill and you have a match made in heaven!
This Greek lentil salad recipe dressing can also include lemon juice, but I always prefer to go with the classic and beloved Greek combination of brown lentils and red wine vinegar.
And the special ingredient that holds everything together is nothing else than some salty, creamy crumbled Greek feta cheese, which is a one of my beloved ingredients in all types of Greek recipes, fried, baked or used as a stuffing. Yum! (For more feta cheese recipe ideas click here>>.)
Greek lentil salad recipe – A superfood on your plate
Greek lentil salad (fakes salata) in its many variations is a very popular dish in Greece, especially during spring – summer time, when it replaces the classic wintery Greek lentil soup. High in nutritional value, simple to prepare with an exquisite taste, this delicious lentil salad recipe is the best way to promote healthier eating habits for you and your family.
Lentils (fakes) are a wonderful source of protein for vegetarians, as, out of all legumes and nuts, contain the third highest level of proteins. High in fiber, iron, vitamins, minerals, folate and magnesium, lentils can help reduce risk of heart disease, increase energy and reduce blood cholesterol. Fiber found in lentils helps promote digestive health and stabilising blood sugar levels. Adding to these, they are still low in calories, as they contain absolutely no fat!
So go ahead, treat yourself with no guilt to this amazing superfood!
Other delicious Greek salads
If you love my salad, then you’ll also love my following handpicked recommendations!
- Greek Orzo Salad (Orzo feta salad)
- Refreshing Watermelon Feta Salad recipe
- Grilled Halloumi and Roasted Vegetables Salad Recipe
- Traditional Greek Salad recipe (Horiatiki / Xoriatiki)
- Greek Pasta Salad recipe
- Potato Salad (Greek Patatosalata)
Delicious Greek Lentil Salad Recipe with Feta cheese (Fakes Salata)
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: 8 portions 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Boiled/ Baked
- Cuisine: Greek
- Diet: Vegetarian
An absolutely delicious and super healthy Greek lentil salad recipe with feta cheese and fresh vegetables. Whether eaten as a snack, side or light vegetarian meal, this super easy feta lentil salad recipe never fails to impress!
- 400g brown lentils, picked and rinsed (14 oz.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2–3 peppers (red, orange, yellow), roasted and sliced
- 250g feta cheese, crumbled (9 oz.)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half or 1 juicy tomato, cut in cubes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- a handful fresh parsley (or dill), chopped
- a handful fresh mint, chopped
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the dressing
- 6 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- a pinch of sweet paprika
- To prepare this Greek style lentil salad recipe with feta cheese, start by cooking the lentils. Place the lentils in a colander and rinse them thoroughly under running water. Drain and place them in a large pot. Cover the lentils with a 5-6cm of cold water, season with salt, add the bay leaf and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 20-25 minutes. For this Greek lentil feta salad recipe the lentils should be cooked, but still retain a slight tooth. Keep in mind that different varieties of lentils cook at different times, so have a taste after 15 minutes and be careful not to overcook them!
- In the meantime prepare the vegetables. For this Greek feta lentil salad recipe, you could use the peppers raw, cut into little cubes or roasted. Roasting the peppers, until slightly soft, will give extra flavour. To roast the peppers, cut them in half crosswise and place on a baking tray, lined with parchment pepper. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt. Bake in preheated oven at 200-220C for about 20 minutes, or until softened.
- To prepare the dressing for this Greek lentil salad recipe, add all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- When the lentils are cooked, drain them in a colander and place under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled slightly place lentils in a large serving bowl and toss with dressing. Add the chopped onion, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, olives and roasted peppers (sliced) and blend. Wait to add the fresh herbs just before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: Greek lentil salad, fakes salata, lentil salad with feta