Healthy and absolutely delicious Horta recipe (Boiled Greek Wild Leafy Greens) for the lovers of Greek cuisine! Horta is a very popular salad one can taste almost everywhere in Greece.
For the wild Greens
- 1.5kg wild greens (53 ounces). You can use dandelion greens, amaranth greens, swiss chard, sorrel greens or any other long stemmed robust leaf.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, cut into stripes
- 1/2 bunch fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
For the feta sauce
- 80ml milk (1/4 of a cup)
- 80ml milk cream (1/4 of a cup)
- 300g feta cheese (10.5 ounces)
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Wash the wild leafy greens thoroughly and drain.
- Into a large saucepan pour the olive oil, add the onions and leeks and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until wilted.
- Add the wild greens and mix with a wooden spoon. As soon as they become wilted, lower the heat and add 1/2 cup of water.
- With the lid on, simmer for 35 minutes, until the wild greens are boiled.
- In the meantime, prepare the feta sauce. Into a blender add the feta cheese (crushed).
- In a small pot, warm the milk and the milk cream at low heat. Right before it comes to the boil, remove from the stove and let it cool for 1 minute.
- Pour the milk in the blender, along with the herbs and spices and blend, until the sauce becomes smooth.
- Serve the horta at room temperature and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Top with the feta sauce and some grated tomato, if you wish.
Keywords: horta recipe, greek horta, greek greens, horta salad