The perfect raisin bread recipe! Whole-wheat flour, honey instead of sugar and only 1/2 an egg and a knob of butter for eight hearty portions.. This is the healthiest and delicious (and easy to make) raisin bread you’ve ever had! The perfect healthy snack for you and your family. Enjoy!
Raisin Bread – The perfect healthy snack (Stafidopsomo)
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 raisin breads 1x
- Category: Breads
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Greek
- Diet: Vegetarian
The healthiest and super delicious raisin bread recipe (Stafidopsomo) you’ve ever tried! Whole-wheat flour, honey instead of sugar and only 1/2 egg and a knob of butter for eight hearty portions.. The perfect healthy snack for you and your family.
- 210g milk, at room temperature (7.4 ounces)
- 95g honey, warmed (3.3 ounces)
- 30g butter, melted (1 ounce)
- half an egg
- 200g wholewheat flour (7 ounces)
- 130g all-purpose flour (4.5 ounces)
- 4g dry yeast (1/2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 120 raisins (4 ounces)
- 2 tbsp butter (optional)
- 2 tbsp honey (optional)
- Warm the honey and melt the butter; leave aside to reach room-temperature, so that they are not hot when using later.
- In a large bowl, add the two kinds of flour (wholewheat and all-purpose), the yeast, raisins and salt; blend with a spoon to combine.
- In another bowl, add the warmed honey, the melted butter and milk and whisk. Crack in the egg and whisk again, until the ingredients combine. Pour the mixture with all the liquids in the flour-raisins mixture and blend with a spoon to combine. Knead the dough with your hands for 2-3 minutes; if you have an electric mixer mix the dough, using the dough hook for 4-5 minutes. (For the raisin bread to be soft and fluffy, the dough should be very soft and sticky, so do not try to add any more flour.)
- Coat a bowl with oil and place in the dough, sprinkle with some flour, cover with some plastic wrap and let it rise (in a warm place) for at least 1 hour, until it doubles its size.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and split in 8 pieces (work with floured hands, because the dough is very sticky). Form each piece of the dough in braids or round breads; layer the bottom of a baking tray with some greaseproof paper and place the raisin bread on top. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 10-15 minutes, until a nicely colored crust forms and the raisin bread is cooked throughout.
- If you like your raisin bread to be more shiny, brush with some honey glaze. In a bowl add 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp honey and heat in the microwave, until melted. Using a cooking brush, brush the top of each raisin bread with the honey glaze. Enjoy hot from the oven!
Keywords: stafidopsomo, raisin bun recipe, soft raisin bread recipe