Looking for an authentic Greek Spetsofai recipe? Find out how to make this rustic, spicy Greek meze the traditional way, perfect with some salty feta…
- 4 medium spicy country sausages, sliced (approx. 95g each)
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- a cup of water
- 4–5 tbsps olive oil
- a glass of red wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 chili peppers (optional)
- a pinch of paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this delicious Greek dish, place a saucepan over high heat, add one tbsp of olive oil and sauté the sausages, until nicely coloured. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on some kitchen paper and leave them aside.
- Into the same pan, add the rest of the olive oil, the chopped onion and season with freshly ground pepper; sauté for a minute. Add the garlic and tomato paste and sauté for one more minute. Add the peppers and continue sautéing.
- Deglaze with the red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan, with all the delicacies, and wait for it to evaporate. Then add the sugar, the canned tomatoes, a cup of water, the herbs and spices, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 25-30 minutes with the lid on, until the peppers tenderise.
- Add the sausages and cook a little bit longer, until the sauce thickens. Check for seasoning; if you’re using too spicy or salty sausages, you’ll probably won’t need to add any salt or pepper.
- Serve while still hot with some crusty bread aside or as a main dish with basmati rice. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 437kcal
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 1069mg
- Fat: 35.4g
- Saturated Fat: 10.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 23.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Cholesterol: 57.8mg
Keywords: Greek spetsofai recipe, How to cook Spetzofai, Greek sausages dish