Discover this traditional Greek leek pie recipe (prasopita) with homemade phyllo for you to recreate this delicious vegetarian delight from scratch!
- 12–15 phyllo sheets, thawed
- 800–900 g leeks, sliced (28 oz.)
- 3–4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 a glass white wine
- 1 egg yolk
- 250ml milk or milk cream (1 cup)
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled (5 oz.)
- 100g Graviera cheese, or hard yellow cheese (3.5 oz.)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- olive oil or butter for brushing the pan
- 1 egg and 1 tsp water to brush the top
- If you choose to prepare this Greek leek pie with commercial phyllo dough, it is important to thaw completely the phyllo dough by putting it in the fridge from the previous day. For the beginners at working with phyllo, check the handling tips before starting.
- To make this traditional Greek leek pie recipe, start by making the filling. Wash the leeks and trim them, keeping only the white part and cut in slices (2cm width).
- Heat a saucepan, add olive oil, the leeks and scallions and season with salt and pepper. Sauté, whilst stirring, until tender. Deglaze with the white wine and wait for it to evaporate. Remove the pan from the stove and allow them to cool down for a while.
- In a bowl add 1 egg yolk and the milk cream and whisk. Stir in the leeks mixture, feta cheese, graviera cheese, season with pepper and blend to combine.
- Brush a medium sized baking tray with olive oil and lay one sheet of phyllo dough, allowing it to exceed the pan. Brush the phyllo sheet with olive oil or melted butter and continue with 5-6 more phyllo sheets (brushing each one with olive oil or melted butter). Tip in the filling and even out using a spatula. With a knife trim some of the excessive phyllo, and fold the excess phyllo sheets flaps over the mixture. Add 5-6 more phyllo sheets, making sure to oil or butter each one, before adding the other. Trim some of the excessive phyllo and roll the rest on the edges.
- In a bowl whisk the egg and the water, brush the top of the leek pie and scar into pieces. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 50 minutes, until nicely coloured. Enjoy this traditional vegetarian Greek leek pie as a filling snack or as light meal. Καλή όρεξη!
Keywords: Prasopita, Greek leek pie recipe, leek and feta pie, prasopita me feta