The perfect Greek authentic tzatziki sauce recipe! Tzatziki sauce, is a traditional Greek dip, that is known and loved around the world. Cool and creamy; the ideal match for that super tasty souvlaki or grilled meat. Most tzatziki sauce recipes outside Greece call for the use of chopped dill or mint. However, for the authentic Greek tzatziki sauce recipe it is rarely, if ever, used! In Cyprus tzatziki is called Talatouri, and is made with fresh or dry mint, and lemon juice instead of vinegar.
Greek tzatziki sauce recipe – Tips to achieve the perfect texture
Greek tzatziki is a classic yogurt, garlic and cucumber dip. It sounds very simple but in order to achieve the perfect texture you have to pay attention to the details! The main ingredients for this authentic Greek tzatziki sauce recipe are plenty of garlic and extra creamy thick yogurt. A great Tzatziki sauce is all about the garlic. If you are not afraid of the smell use a little extra. Your tastebuds will thank you! But make sure to use it minced or grated, as you don’t want your tzatziki sauce to be lumpy. For the perfect texture use Greek strained yogurt, as it is smoother and creamier than other yogurts and make sure to use it cold. Probably the most important part when making a Greek tzatziki sauce is the preparation of the cucumber. You need to use seedless cucumber or if you are using a seeded one, you will want to remove the seeds. Cucumber seeds bring along a little too much moisture in the tzatziki sauce and their texture is not what we are looking for. Grate the cucumber, using the large holes of the grater and dry it really well. We want to remove as much of the moisture of the pulp as possible, so that the tzatziki sauce can remain creamy. Enjoy this authentic Greek tzatziki sauce recipe with a juicy chicken souvlaki or with some warm pita breads!
Authentic Τzatziki sauce recipe – How to video
We love this recipe so much that we made a short video showing you how to make it to perfection. Check it out below and don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more delicious quick recipes here: https://www.youtube.com/mygreekdish
Oh and you can always read this delicious recipe in Greek here Τζατζίκι συνταγή (Εύκολο σπιτικό τζατζίκι με σκόρδο).Print
The authentic Greek tzatziki sauce recipe. Find out how to prepare this creamy Greek yogurt, cucumber and garlic dip as served in the very best taverns!
- 1 cucumber
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 of a cup extra virgin olive oil
- 500g strained Greek yogurt (18 ounces)
- 1–2 tbsps of red wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this authentic Greek tzatziki sauce recipe, remove the skin and the seeds of the cucumber and grate it into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Wrap the grated cucumber in a towel and squeeze, in order to get rid of the excess water.
- Assemble the tzatziki sauce. In a bowl, add the cucumber, the minced garlic and olive oil, the yogurt, 1-2 tbsps of red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and blend, until the ingredients are combined. Store the tzatziki sauce in the fridge and always serve cold. (Alternatively, if you have a blender, pour in the olive oil and garlic and blend until combined. Then mix with the rest of the ingredients using a spoon. This will help the garlic to mix better with the rest of the ingredients).
- Prepare this traditional tzatziki sauce for your friends and family and serve as a delicious dip with some warm pita breads aside, or as a sauce for Greek-style souvlaki. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 2 tbsps
- Calories: 85kcal
- Sugar: 2.1g
- Sodium: 209.1mg
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2.7g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 5.4mg
Keywords: Authentic Tzatziki recipe, Greek Yogurt and Cucumber sauce