The traditional Greek spanakopita recipe (spinach pie) with crispy phyllo and juicy spinach stuffing! Discover how to make it to perfection just like yiayia
For the filling
- 2 red onions, halved and sliced
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 500g spinach, washed and roughly chopped (18 ounces)
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled (7 ounces)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1–2 tbsps fresh dill, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
For the phyllo dough
- 300g all-purpose flour (10.5 ounces)
- 5 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 130–150g water (1/2– 3/4 of a cup)
- To prepare this spanakopita recipe start by making the phyllo dough first. (For step by step instructions Homemade phyllo dough). Alternatively use commercial phyllo dough.
- When done, heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- To prepare the filling for this spanakopita recipe, sauté the onions in a large knob of butter until soft and turning golden. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the spinach in batches and cook until wilted. Cool, then tip into a bowl (leaving behind any excess liquid from the spinach) and mix in the nutmeg, feta, eggs, spring onion and season.
- For this spanakopita recipe you will need a non stick baking pan, about 25cm. Put the first sheet of filo in the pan and sprinkle with olive oil, letting the excess hang over the sides. Keep going with the rest of the sheets, turning a little before adding each additional pastry sheet and sprinkling with olive oil. Use 2-3 phyllo sheets, depending on how thick your phyllo is. Tip in the filling of the spanakopita and fold over the excess pastry to cover. If you like to prepare a larger pan of spanakopita for a big crowd, double the ingredients for the filling and use a 25*35 cm baking dish. Layer the 2-3 phyllo sheets to form the bottom of the spanakopita, tip in the filling and top with 2-3 more phyllo sheets.
- Brush the top of the spanakopita with olive oil and scar with a sharp knife. Bake in preheated oven for about 60 minutes until the phyllo is crisp and golden.
- Leave the spanakopita cool down for 10-15 minutes before cutting into pieces. Serve the spanakopita with Greek salad. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 337kcal
- Sugar: 2.7g
- Sodium: 880.4mg
- Fat: 17.4g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35.1g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 11.2g
- Cholesterol: 72.6mg
Keywords: Authentic Spanakopita recipe, Homemade Phyllo dough , Spanakotiropita, Greek spinach pie