Refreshing Watermelon Feta Salad recipe
Posted in 40 minutes or less, Barbecue Recipes, Beginner, Mainland Greece, Our hand picked recipes, Quick Meals: Ready in 20 minutes or less, Salads, Traditional Greek Feta Cheese Recipes, Vegetarian Originally published on May 11, 2014 Last updated on September 4, 2014 By Eli K. Giannopoulos
Our very best watermelon feta salad recipe – an extraordinary combination of both savoury and refreshing at the same time that will certainly amaze you! Whether eaten as a snack, light meal or as a starter to that barbecue grill, that salty-sweet combination going on in this recipe will keep you cool during the hot summer days!
Watermelon feta salad recipe – A Greek summer favourite
Watermelon is with no doubt the fruit of the summer and the combination of juicy, chilled slices of watermelon and salty, creamy feta cheese is a Greek summer favourite. This watermelon feta salad recipe includes crispy cucumber, tangy kalamata olives and thin slices of red onion garnished with a touch of lemon dressing and fresh vibrant mint leaves to turn this surprising combination into a delicious watermelon feta salad. This light and sweet watermelon feta salad recipe besides from being delicious also features two extremely hydrating ingredients, watermelon and cucumber making it perfect for the hot summer weather. And if you think that this savoury fruit dish combination sounds improbable and couldn’t possibly work, then it’s time to go outside of your comfort zone and give it a try. I’m sure that this watermelon feta salad will become a regular on your summer table!
How to pick a juicy, ripe watermelon for your watermelon feta salad recipe
For the most delicious watermelon feta salad keep an eye on your ingredients. Find some juicy ripe watermelon, crisp cucumber, creamy Greek feta cheese and some kalamata black olives and you are basically done. Picking the right watermelon to prepare this watermelon feta salad recipe is one of the tricky parts, as you don’t know what’s inside and once cut open you could be faced with the disappointment of an underripe watermelon disaster. Although most people tend to tap the watermelon to find out if it’s ripe, experience has shown me that there are some other clever ways to double check it. For this watermelon feta salad recipe it is imperative that you pick a ripe juicy watermelon. Start by lifting it up. Is the watermelon heavy for its size? Compare the weight of your watermelon with another of equal size – the heavier the ripest, as this indicates that is full of water. Make sure that the watermelon is symmetrical and uniformly shaped. If it has irregular bumps, this may mean that it received irregular amount of water or sun during growing. Inspect the colour of the watermelon. For a perfect ripe watermelon for your watermelon feta salad pick a dark green and dull looking one, rather than a shiny. A shiny watermelon is more probable to be underripe. If you have any other tricks to pick a juicy, ripe watermelon I will be more than happy to let me know in the comments below!
So, if you’re looking for a cool and refreshing watermelon feta salad recipe for this summer, give it a try and if you are feeling adventurous enough try experimenting with different kind of ingredients, you may have lying around. Enjoy! (Click here for more salad recipe ideas).
For the watermelon feta salad
- 1kg watermelon, seedless and cut into chunks (35oz.)
- 250g feta cheese, cut into cubes or crumbled (9 oz.)
- a bunch of mint, leaves only, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 100g Kalamata olives, pitted (4 oz.)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and diced (optional)
For the dressing
- 1/4 of a cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare this watermelon feta salad recipe start by removing the rind and seeds from the watermelon, and cut into triangular chunks. Cut the feta cheese into small cubes, or bigger if you prefer, and place both into a large bowl. Slice the onions into paper-thin slices and place in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, add the chopped mint leaves and the kalamata olives and set aside. (If you choose to prepare this watermelon feta salad recipe using cucumber too, then peel and slice the cucumber into half-moons and place in the bowl with rest of the ingredients).
- Prepare the dressing for the watermelon feta salad. In a small bowl add the olive oil, lemon juice and brown sugar and season. Whisk the ingredients to combine, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Pour the dressing over the watermelon feta salad and toss to coat.
- Divide the watermelon feta salad among individual serving plates and serve immediately. Enjoy!