Looking for a delicious and flavorful side dish or a light meal? This Greek potato salad (Patatosalata) is the answer! This classic Mediterranean dish is perfect for any occasion and pairs perfectly with roasted chicken, grilled lamb, or other Mediterranean-inspired dishes.
Read on to learn about the best potatoes for Greek potato salad and how to make this easy and flavourful dish to perfection!
What is Greek Potato Salad (Patatosalata)?
Greek potato salad (Patatosalata) is a classic rustic dish. It’s a simple and delicious combination of potatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley, red onion, garlic, dill and feta cheese.
All the ingredients are mixed together and is served cold or at room temperature to allow the the flavours to mix!
This is a great side dish to serve with grilled meats or fish or as part of a summer meal. Enjoy Greek potato salad as an easy and flavorful way to enjoy the best flavors of Greece!
- Easy to make: This is a simple dish that’s ready in around half an hour
- Scale as you need: Make as much salad as you need for bigger occasions
Greek Potato Salad Key Ingredients
- Potatoes: You’ll need around 750g of baby potatoes for this recipe to serve up to six people.
- Salad ingredients: This potato salad recipe uses feta cheese, red onion, capers and lemon juice, along with fresh dill and parsley.
Key Preparation steps for Greek Potato Salad
There are just two main steps in creating this potato salad recipe:
- Cook the potatoes
- Create the salad
Cook the potatoes
Put the potatoes in a pan of cold water with lots of salt and bring to the boil. Cook for 20 minutes until tender, then drain and leave them to cool.
Create Greek Potato salad
Take a large bowl and whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. Half the potatoes and add them to the bowl, then crumble in the feta.
Peel and finely chop the onion, then add to the potatoes.
Add the drained capers, chopped herbs and a good amount of black pepper.
Fold together the ingredients and season as needed. Leave to set for 20 minutes to let the flavors mix before serving.
What are the best potatoes for Greek potato salad?
For the best flavor and texture, the ideal potatoes to use in Greek potato salad are waxy varieties such as red potatoes or new potatoes.
These types of potatoes are lower in starch and will hold their shape better when boiled, resulting in a delicious and sturdy salad. Yukon Gold or russet potatoes can also be used but may break down more quickly.
What could you use in Greek potato salad in place of feta cheese?
If you’re looking for a substitute for feta cheese in Greek potato salad, try substituting it with crumbled goat cheese or a vegan cheese alternative. Both of these options will give the dish a tangy flavor and creamy texture similar to that of feta.
Consider adding capers or kalamata olives to add additional Mediterranean flair and saltiness.
What can you add if you don’t like capers?
If you don’t like capers, you can still achieve a similar flavor in a Greek potato salad with other Mediterranean ingredients. Try adding roasted red peppers or chopped artichoke hearts to give the dish extra texture and flavor.
Or, go with something more traditional and opt for chopped green olives or sun-dried tomatoes to give your Greek potato salad an extra punch. Finally, if you’re looking to add a bit of sweetness, consider some diced shallots.
Greek potato salad can be easily adapted to suit different tastes. For a saucier version of the dish, use plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise and add diced cucumbers or tomatoes for a refreshing twist.
Add chili flakes or replace the feta cheese with crumbled goat cheese for a spicier version.
Substitute olives for the red onion and oregano for dill to give it a Mediterranean flair.
Greek potato salad is a versatile side dish that pairs well with roasted chicken or fish, grilled lamb, or other Mediterranean-inspired dishes.
It can also be served as a light lunch or dinner on its own, topped with chopped fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme, or parsley.
Try adding a few Kalamata olives, feta cheese and village bread for an easy and flavorful meal!
Other delicious Greek salads
If you love my salad, then you’ll also love my following handpicked recommendations!
- Greek Orzo Salad (Orzo feta salad)
- Traditional Greek salad (Xoriatiki)
- Delicious Greek Lentil Salad Recipe with Feta cheese (Fakes Salata)
- Refreshing Watermelon Feta Salad recipe
- Grilled Halloumi and Roasted Vegetables Salad Recipe
- Greek Pasta Salad recipe
- Greek chickpea salad
Looking for a delicious and flavorful side dish or a light meal? This Greek potato salad (Patatosalata) is the answer! A classic Mediterranean dish perfect for any occasion!
- 750–800g baby potatoes (roughly 1 3/4 lb)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 100g feta (3 1/2 oz)
- 1/2 red onion
- 4 tbsp capers in brine
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- black pepper to taste
- To prepare this Greek potato salad recipe start by boiling the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a pan of cold water with a very generous amount of salt and bring to the boil. Cook until tender; this should take about 20 minutes. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- To assemble the salad, in the bottom of a large bowl whisk together the extra virgin olive oil and the fresh lemon juice.
- Halve the potatoes into the bowl, then crumble in the feta. Peel and finely chop the red onion, before adding it to the potatoes along with the drained capers, chopped herbs and a good amount of black pepper.
- Fold together the salad and season to taste with more salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside to allow the flavours to blend for at least 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Keywords: greek potato salad, patatosalata