The most easy and delicious feta cheese pie with some extra crispy homemade phyllo! It is very common in Greece to make homemade phyllo dough, but it requires a lot of experience. Follow our recipe step by step and succeed on your first time!
The most easy and delicious curly feta cheese pie with some extra crispy homemade phyllo!
For the phyllo
- 300g all-purpose flour (10.5 ounces)
- 5 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 130–150g water (1/2– 3/4 of a cup)
For the filling
- 350g feta cheese, crumbled (12 ounces)
- 350g graviera, or any hard yellow cheese, grated (12 ounces)
- 50g butter (2 ounces)
For the topping
- 50g melted butter (2 ounces)
- sesame seeds
- In the large bowl of on electric mixer add the flour, the vinegar, the olive oil and the salt. Using a dough hook, mix the ingredients in high speed for 10 seconds and then add 130g of water and continue mixing. The dough may or may not need some extra water. After mixing for a while the dough should become an elastic ball. If the dough is still crumbled, you should add a few drops of water and mix.
- Wrap the dough with elastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes. Divide the dough into half and place on a floured surface. Use rolling pin to work each ball, until it becomes a very thin round pastry; the thinner, the better. You may find it easier to roll a little bit the dough with the rolling pin, and then lift it with your hands and hold it by the edge with your fists, shaking a little bit, while the rest hangs and stretches out, re positioning your hands around the perimeter of the dough and repeating (like a pizza dough).
- Place the dough on a large, floured kitchen towel and spread half the filling. You could use any kind of cheese you like. Add some pieces of butter for extra taste. Grab the kitchen towel by the edges lengthwise and lift it, so that the dough rolls. Turn it forming a snail and then place it on a baking tray. Butter with some melted butter and sprinkle sesame seeds. Repeat with the second ball of dough, experimenting into different shapes if you like.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 60 minutes, until nicely colored and crispy.
- Tips: This recipe is very easy, because the dough stretches out really easily. The most important thing is to stretch the dough as thin as possible. Don’t worry if it breaks, creating holes. It will still taste delicious! Add some fresh herbs in the filling, some fresh dill, parsley or basil for extra taste.
Keywords: tiropita strifti