Healthy and absolutely delicious! Try out this recipe with our creamy feta sauce on top and be amazed!
Healthy and absolutely delicious Greek wild greens (Horta)! Try out this recipe with our creamy feta sauce on top and be amazed!
For the wild Greens
- 1.5kg wild greens (53 ounces)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, cut into stripes
- 1/2 bunch fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
For the feta sauce
- 80ml milk (1/4 of a cup)
- 80ml milk cream (1/4 of a cup)
- 300g feta cheese (10.5 ounces)
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Wash the greens thoroughly and drain.
- Into a large saucepan pour the olive oil, add the onions and leeks and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until wilted.
- Add the greens and mix with a wooden spoon. As soon as they become wilted, lower the heat and add 1/2 cup of water.
- With the lid on, simmer for 35 minutes, until the wild greens are boiled.
- In the meantime, prepare the feta sauce. Into a blender add the feta cheese (crushed).
- In a small pot, warm the milk and the milk cream at low heat. Right before it comes to the boil, remove from the stove and let it cool for 1 minute.
- Pour the milk in the blender, along with the herbs and spices and blend, until the sauce becomes smooth.
- Serve the horta at room temperature and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Top with the feta sauce and some grated tomato, if you wish.
Keywords: horta recipe, greek horta, greek greens, horta salad